Friday 13 September 2013

Introduction

The Walking Milkman is back!

On Sunday 15th September 2013 I'll begin my attempt to conquer the challenging yet spectacular South West Coast Path.

My journey begins at South Haven Point, Poole Harbour in Dorset, this being the eastern end of the path. My initial target is to walk back to my hometown of Exmouth in Devon, a distance of around 116 hilly miles (including the entire Jurassic Coast, World Heritage Site) which I hope to complete in 5 days.

The South West Coast Path is England's longest way-marked distance footpath and a National Trail. It stretches for 630 miles (1,014 km) between Minehead in Somerset and Poole Harbour in Dorset. Since it rises and falls with every river mouth, it is also one of the more challenging trails. The total height climbed has been calculated to be 35,031 m, almost four times the height of Mount Everest.

I'd love to walk the entire route non-stop, unfortunately work commitments make that impossible so I intend to complete the walk in sections, including at a full week of walking each year for the next three years.

South West Coast Path Wikipedia page; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_West_Coast_Path

South West Coast Path home page; http://www.southwestcoastpath.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment